What’s the future of Mesut Ozil at Arsenal?

Mikel Arteta made a statement in Arsenal’s 3-0 win away to Fulham to start the 2020-21 season with Mesut Ozil missing out on the matchday squad.

The former German international has not featured for the Gunners since March as his future at the Emirates remains in tatters.

Instead, Arteta went with Granit Xhaka and Mohamed Elneny in his 3-4-3 formation that cruised to victory over the Premier League newcomers.

However, the absence of the 31-year-old playmaker from the starting lineup shouldn’t be a huge surprise given his role isn’t suited to the formation. But not making the bench as an option to change the formation if needed, doesn’t bode well for the 2014 World Cup winner.

Indeed, if Elneny can start and Dani Ceballos be on the bench despite not being fully match fit, it appears that Mesut Ozil’s career at Arsenal is over.

Moving him on given his age and a £350,000-a-week wage will be a difficult move. It hasn’t helped that he’s barely kicked a ball in 2020 either. Though it wouldn’t surprise me if we could agree a loan move for Ozil, perhaps to a La Liga or Bundesliga side.

Mikel Arteta prefers the 3-4-3 formation which doesn’t suit the player and the manager seemingly fell out with the player within months of taking charge anyway.

Ozil wasn’t in the matchday squads for the Community Shield or FA Cup finals either. If we’re unable to move him on before the transfer window shuts on 5 October, then I imagine the only games we may see him involved in would be the EFL Cup and Europa League.