`
Allegri – Milan got it completely wrong technically – Arsenal Banter

Allegri – Milan got it completely wrong technically

The Milan coach Massimiliano Allegri nearly saw his side punished by Arsenal last night and was openly relieved that his team were not taken to penalties or even knocked out of the Champions League by the Gunners.

He admitted that his tactics were completely wrong as he tried to score the one goal that would have put the tie out of Arsenal’s reach completely.

He said after the game: “”We played with three forwards and certainly suffered too much.

“We conceded on the first corner and that made a big difference psychologically, then we made too many mistakes in our midfield passes. I’d say we got the game completely wrong from a technical point of view, as we were sitting too deep and played between defenders, but after the break we did move more in attack.

“It’s a shame about the defeat, but the objective was to get through to the next round. Now we have time to get a few more players back from injury and continue in this competition. I did not see the team afraid as such, as there are experienced players here. In the locker room I simply told them we had to wipe out the first half from our memories and start from 0-0.

“In any case, I am not too worried. It was a crucial game and would’ve been a truly massive psychological blow for the rest of the season if we’d gone out from 4-0 in the first leg.”

And what a psychological boost it would have been for Arsenal if they had actually managed to do it. Now we just have to forget about it until next year and concentrating on patching up the troops for the Newcastle game.

Arsenal v AC Milan Highlights