Arsenal Announce Deal For ‘New Xavi’ – Medicals Tomorrow – Arsenal Banter

Arsenal Announce Deal For ‘New Xavi’ – Medicals Tomorrow

Arsenal and Tottenham have indicated interest in young Belgian defender Bjorn Engels, according to agent Ivan Reggiani.

When asked by Italian website Calciomercato.com about a rumour linking his client with a move to Serie A side Sampdoria, Reggiani denied the speculation but he did confirm offers have been received from both the Gunners and Spurs:

“I see him more in the Premier League, he’s a player I would definitely invest in, because he still has a relatively affordable figure, about €10m. I wouldn’t think twice. The only problem, as I know, is that both Arsenal and Tottenham have already made concrete offers. I think at the moment with Sampdoria there is no history for the player.”

The centre back is a graduate of the Club Brugge academy and he made his debut as an 18 year  old against Bordeaux in a Europa League match back in September 2012, scoring an own goal in a 5-4 win.

Now 22, Engels has begun to establish himself as a regular first team member despite being plagued with lots of injuries which has hampered his game time. So far he has not made an appearance for the Belgian national team, but he has been capped at Under 21 level.

Signing the defender would likely be an investment for the future by either Arsenal or Tottenham but it remains to be seen which team Engels would favour if in fact the bids have really been submitted.