Arsenal edge closer to keeping van Persie

The Arsenal captain Robin van Persie is training with his team mates, both old and new, at Arsenal’s training camp in Germany. It seems to be all smiles and back to business before the Gunners take on Cologne on Sunday in the last pre-season friendly.

It doesn’t tell you everything, but some good camaraderie and excitement about the season ahead could just remind our Dutch striker of how good it can be to be a Gunner.

There have still been no official bids big enough to tempt Arsene Wenger, and the closer the end of August gets, the nearer we get to keeping van Persie. Even if he still wants to leave in January, van Persie could be indispensable at the start of this season. Wenger will listen to serious offers, but not the amounts of around £12 million that have been reported.

The new Gunners Santi Cazorla, Lukas Podolski and Olivier Giroud should also bring new excitement and optimism to the Arsenal squad. Van Persie could find himself looking around thinking “we can really win something this year.” If he stays with the club and starts banging in the goals, i think that he will soon be forgiven.

Man City are looking more and more likely to start their season with the same front four, after Mancini squashed any moves for Tevez or Dzeko from Italy. Juventus have been put on alert by Fernando Llorente from Athletic Bilbao. The Spanish striker has told bosses at the club that he wants to move on. Maybe, just maybe we will not sell our captain this summer.

10 thoughts on “Arsenal edge closer to keeping van Persie

  • August 9, 2012 at 6:23 pm

    why is it (not in all cases) that when we give our best players the captaincy they all of a sudden think they’re too good for the club and want out!? Does anyone think they were given the captaincy in a bid to influence them to stay, but really it seems it’s solidifying their egos…?

    • August 10, 2012 at 3:57 pm

      i thnk wenger should give the goalkeeper the captaincy or vermalean who has alwz been loyal to the club

  • August 9, 2012 at 6:56 pm

    The press boys are busy nosing around and cooking up stories about RVP sale. Let them leave RVP alone. He is still a Gunner and will remain a Gunner come September, 2012.

  • August 9, 2012 at 7:16 pm

    I don’t think what the press are written are liars coz if Van Persie don’t want to leave the club why has he not sign a new contract? moreover if he want to leave he (wenger) should allow him coz he already lost some great players in last few years van persie is not the first nor he will be mthe last….. always a gooner

  • August 9, 2012 at 7:36 pm

    agree. keep hım at all costs. even ıf ıts agaınst hıs wıll. he wıll stıll do hıs best for the club thıs season and may re-sıgn. gıve hım a chance, he ıs worth ıt and keepıng hım ıs so ımportant to the club for so many reasons.

  • August 9, 2012 at 9:38 pm

    Can’t agree. I feel with the new blood (and there is more to come according to Arsene) Arsenal have moved on. We are stronger even without RVP and a different game plan and tactics must emerge. The nucleus of our attack has changed and is no longer centred around one man.

  • August 10, 2012 at 4:06 am

    The battle of life respect no body,he should if he want’s to but he will regret leaving Arsenal because we keep faith in him and how he want’s to pay back.he should go.with or without him Arsenal still stand,Gunner 4 ever.

    • August 10, 2012 at 4:02 pm

      I surely agree with you dosunmu………..Arsenal will alwz remain to be ma first name

  • August 10, 2012 at 2:13 pm

    Let him stay coz a true legend does not leave his brother because of trouble,he assist him when the trouble is over he quits as legend coz no body knows what might happen ahead of him.

  • August 11, 2012 at 12:06 am

    Arsenal is not one man team. Let him go if he wants to we hav already got his replacement.