Arsenal in shock move to re-sign Song from Barcelona?

There have been some suggestions in recent days that Alex Song is being lined up as a possible summer signing for Arsenal and now his footballing relative, Rigobert Song, has come out and spoken about Alex’s issue.

“Barcelona put so much effort into signing him last summer, and Alex turned down many great teams in order to sign with them,” he said. “But this season he has only been a substitute. He is not happy.

At Arsenal he was a leader on and off the field – he doesn’t feel like this in Spain and it makes him feel bad.”

When Arsenal let him go, we felt unhappy but didn’t feel too hurt by it, especially as he was a player that could be easily replaced. Not to mention the high £15 million fee we got for the defensive midfielder. We were linked with the likes of Yann M’vila (who has since joined a new team), as well as French International Etienne Capoue. Nobody was signed, though, either in summer or in January.

So with Arsenal still reportedly on the lookout for a player that can fill the defensive midfield role, should we look to resign Song?

Wenger never has been a fan of resigning former players, with Henry, Lehmann and Campbell all coming back as just last resort and desperation players. Although credit to all of them, with all 3 doing a fantastic job in their respective returns. But Alex Song would certainly play a more important role, most likely featuring every week and being the dominant man in midfield like he was before.

Another issue with this is, now Song has gone, Wenger may look to just stick with the development of Francis Coquelin and Emmanuel Frimpong. There’s no denying that Song was a good player in his time at Arsenal despite times of frustration but the question is, would you take Song back at the Emirates?

I personally wouldn’t mind bringing Alex Song back to Arsenal, as long as he was available for a much more reasonable price than the £15 million Barcelona paid, because quite simply I think there’s other areas we should be looking to strengthen more. What do you think?

7 thoughts on “Arsenal in shock move to re-sign Song from Barcelona?

  • April 18, 2013 at 7:26 pm

    Wenger should just swallow his Pride ad bring bck #SONG.. Cos he wil elp us Badly.

  • April 18, 2013 at 8:01 pm

    well he wouldnt be coming back for no more than £10mill,and we should still get capoue for £12mill and keep frimpong even loan him out for another season i see him having a futre and arsenal!

  • April 18, 2013 at 9:09 pm

    We have to think in pure football terms, will we be a better football team with Song on it?

    Yes, we will be. Ramsey and Arteata are forging a very productive partnership in front of the defense. But they are susceptible to being moved off of the ball. Song would help.

    But don’t pay more than £8 to £10 million. There are better players available at higher prices. I would prefer one of the Bender brothers. They are the kind of technically gifted big men that could fit into our midfield and our way of playing. But if they would come, and that is a big if, they would cost £15, maybe £20 million.

  • April 18, 2013 at 10:29 pm

    Ther is no ways Alex will solve our problems. He left for greener pastures and so be it… Wre still need a east DM and whilst Alex was great at times was not our solution. Yes, we can blame him for our defensive lapses, but he so often left us exposed at the back. Just take a look at the new Arsenal, who track back even Giroud to defend. Even RvP did that but Alex was laboured in his retreat. So sorry NO Song! Fellaini anyone?

  • April 19, 2013 at 5:18 pm

    Alex Song is still a relevant midfielder to any team not excluding Arsenal, and as I see it, he would still be very useful to our (Arsenal) midfield. I think maybe Barca signed him just to reduce our midfield power not cus they really needed him. I say sign him, even if he cost us $10m. It will still turn out to be one of our best season signing

  • May 21, 2013 at 9:03 pm

    wenger should resign if he dosnt know wat 2 do

  • June 18, 2013 at 1:31 pm

    Is gud Wenger resign song smply cz song ws a strngst mdfd n arsenal