Arsenal recall Matt Macey from Luton Town ahead of the clash with West Ham tonight

Arsene Wenger said Petr Cech could possibly be returning on Monday against Crystal Palace so recalling Matt Macey from Luton Town was an unexpected move.

Ospina sustained an injury to his back in the clash against Manchester on Sunday but Wenger did not think it worthy of mention in the press conference held ahead of the West Ham game but the recall of Macey indicates the two goalkeepers could be out for a long while.

Macey embraced the sticks well at Luton Town and he has had a good time at the League Two club. He has only missed one of the 12 games played since he joined them in January. Luton have also recalled Craig King who is on loan at Southport.

Speaking just this week to Luton Today, Macey said about his future, “I have another year at Arsenal next season and personally I haven’t thought about any of that, because it’s this season which is important.

“That stuff’s all in the summer, I don’t think about that.

“For me, whatever happens next season I want to be playing football week in week out, wherever that may be.

“I won’t start to think about it until the last game of the season is done.

“I try not to worry about that too much as I want to be so committed to the club and the bigger picture is the club, and the club going up and the club winning games.

“It’s my longest spell, it’s enjoyable, such a challenge each week with whatever happens and the ability to bounce back from defeats.

“I’m trying to embrace everything that comes with being on loan. “So personally it’s nice for me to be involved and playing, that’s what I came to do, but we want to win so that’s important for me.”

POPULAR STORIES

Add a Comment