Arsenal switch sights to another French midfielder

According to latest reports, Yohan Cabaye could be on his way to Arsenal. The Gunners were earlier linked with Cabaye’s team mate Cheick Tiote. But Arsene Wenger has crushed those rumours saying that although they are looking for a new defensive midfielder, Tiote won’t arrive at the Emirates –

‘I’m pleased with what I have, but yes I anticipate that we will do something. Defensive midfielder? It depends on the quality of the players available. Tiote is a good player, but he’s not on the way to Arsenal.’

But one can always take Arsene’s press comments with a pinch of salt. I think Tiote is a far better option than Cabaye, because Arsenal are lacking a defensive midfielder at the moment. Although Mikel Arteta has done a great job so far, Tiote will certainly add more steel. But perhaps Wenger is more concerned with creativity than Arsenal’s rear guard since the Gunners have now failed to score in two premier league games in a row.

Alan Pardew has meanwhile shown resilience in letting his star players leave. He would try hard to avoid any recurrence of Andy Carroll’s incident where they didn’t have enough time to spend the money they got from the transfer. Hence he would certainly be avoiding any last minute transfer. The Newcastle United manager said –

‘All my bigger players are important and would be hard to replace now.

‘You lose a big player at this stage of the season and you have to try to take someone out from somewhere else and they want a replacement and suddenly time is running out.

‘We want to avoid losing any of our big players and not being able to get someone in to replace them.’

Cabaye’s transfer would make little sense for Arsenal since they certainly don’t lack players in the attacking half of the midfield and Cabaye is certainly not defensively better than any of the options that the Gunners already have. So what would you prefer? Tiote or Cabaye?

13 thoughts on “Arsenal switch sights to another French midfielder

  • August 27, 2012 at 6:49 pm

    Don’t see either happening. Not everyone’s a Van Persie.

    • August 27, 2012 at 10:28 pm

      I think cabaye will be ok as a defensive midfielder coz will are lacking dat defensive midfielder as @ not. And wenger should 4get about diaby.diaby is a very useless player

  • August 27, 2012 at 6:51 pm

    Tiote is the type of player arsenal needs now.

  • August 27, 2012 at 7:41 pm

    I think you have your numbers wrong. arsenal play with 2 holding midfielders and 3 attacking midfielders. for the holding roles we have 6 players arteta diaby ramsey coquelin wilshire and frimpong plus chamberlain looks like he can play there. for the attacking roles we have walcott cazorla gervinho chamberlain rosicky arshavin plus podolski can play there. walcott and arshavin could well be sold this week but even if not that is a maximum of 7 for 3 positions as opposed to having 7 for 2 holding positions. if you are saying we dont need attacking midfield cos we have enough then we must have more than enough for the holding roles. i just wonder how many players people think we need? Of all the teams that have won the league in the last 10 years only one has ever used more than 20 players more than 10 times. that was man united who used 22. normally the average is 18 or 19. As it stands we have 57 professionals still at the club 26 of those are classed as homegrown or non-homegrown. we also have a further 6 professionals out on loan. admittedly some players are likely to leave this week but the majority of those are likely to be strikers park chamakh bendtner and watt with arshavin and walcott also possible departures and having already lost rvp vela murphy plus campbell ryo and wellington on loan i think its the attacking side of the team that still needs strengthening. Also if squillaci miquel and boateng all take loans out or hopefully sold in the case of squillaci it could well be that more defenders are required.

    • August 27, 2012 at 8:13 pm

      you dont know what your talking about all arsenal need is a player like pirlo or kevin prince boetang(every one think cazorla will be a big hit in truth he is not very good to greedy same with grouid and podolski is not a world class player he was a young star who had potential but dident live up to it)for arsenal to win a cup or a title again they need to spend at least 100 million and sell a lot of there players.

      • August 29, 2012 at 8:20 pm

        I sorry but what a ridiculous and uneducated statement. You clearly have a lack of knowledge considering the fact that you have described podolski as ‘not world class’ despite the facts he has over 100 caps for Germany and nearly 50 goals… On top of this, how can you say he has not lived up to potential even though he’s played only two competitive games? . He clearly just needs time to bed in, much like Olivier Giroud who was joint top scorer in Ligue 1 last season. Finally Santi cazorla. He has been fantastic in his first two games… Dominating midfield and creating numerous chances. Please think about what you write.

  • August 27, 2012 at 9:06 pm

    arsenal need to buy players pls help me beg our manager wenger that he should not let nigerians fans dawn, we have already hold meeting and come to an agrement that if asene wenger should fuck up by not buying the players that we need most since he made us lost sahin to liverpool atleast he must bring us y’m vila, tiote or cabaye i’m verry sure thousand of nigerians fans we have no choice but to decamp to the club of there choice. We love arsenal we’v been folowing gurnals’ most especialy all my family members have also be a gurnals since when it asn’t name gurnals but the beaviour of our manager as being spleeting nigerians fans, so pls tel asene wenger to pls not to decreas arsenal fans throug his stingy beaviour.

  • August 27, 2012 at 10:48 pm

    Lol! This is my contribution towards the post,wenger knows what will happen,u people are trubling urself.because deep down in wenger he knows what will be the start and the end.lets keep our fingers cross,because nothing u can say for now he has d final say.moreover wenger has limitation or did u want arsenal board to sack him?cus if he tries more than his limitation,he’s going to face the wrath of arsenal board.just to qualify for champions league has turned to our trophies.this is nonesense.

  • August 28, 2012 at 6:29 am

    I think we still need defender to make our team strong at the back and one striker

  • August 29, 2012 at 10:52 pm

    Ariz o compatroit..
    ARSENAL cal obey …
    2 save ARSENE WENGER’s TIME…
    wit LOVE n STRENT N FAITH….
    D LABO of our FANS shal neva b in VAIN….
    2 save in ARSENAL CLUB.. No mater wat it wil take me n my family.
    PeAcE n UnItY
    Ma PeOpLe

  • August 29, 2012 at 10:52 pm

    Ariz o compatroit..
    ARSENAL cal obey …
    2 save ARSENE WENGER’s TIME…
    wit LOVE n STRENT N FAITH….
    D LABO of our FANS shal neva b in VAIN….
    2 save in ARSENAL CLUB.. No mater wat it wil take me n my family.
    PeAcE n UnItY
    Ma PeOpLe

  • August 30, 2012 at 2:00 pm

    Hey prof. We need a defensive steel midfielder like tiote. Diaby wont help coze he usually delays wth d bol when d move is on. Btwn Mvilla n Tiote, i think d latter has really proven that he can play comfortably in d premier league.