BBC: Arsenal BEATS PSG & Inter for the signing of World Cup finalist

Real Madrid midfielder Mateo Kovacic is being targeted by both Arsenal and Liverpool, according to the latest reports from England.

The Croatian international didn’t appear in yesterday’s 2-1 extra-time win over England in the World Cup semi-finals, but we doubt he’s that bothered after the Balkan side proceeded to its first-ever World Cup final.

The ex-Inter Milan player has been chased by many sides, as he isn’t playing a lot at Real Madrid, despite moving from Inter several seasons ago for €30 million.

The 24-year-old recently claimed that he could move away from the Santiago Bernabeu:

“I understand the situation, and that’s why I think it’s best if I go to another club, where I have the opportunity to play regularly as a starter.”

Paris United claim (via 101greatgoals) that both Arsenal and Liverpool want the Croatian. He has also been pursued by Juventus, Napoli… and former club Inter!

Paris United specify that a Milanese club is interested, but don’t specify which – Milan have been known to like him, too.

Mateo Kovacic is a creative player, the kind who could do well in either midfield – though one wonders if he’d find place in Liverpool’s now-packed middle three.