BBC “Arteta IN, I’m Out” Arsenal Key Player Announces on Twitter

Gunners boss thinks his club legend has the leadership skills needed to take charge of the club and lift them to another level.

Arsene Wenger believes Manchester City coach Mikel Arteta has the “qualities” required to succeed him at Arsenal.

And Wenger retired due to drops in valuation for the club, now is giving his backing to Arteta as the next manager of Arsenal, who missed out on Champions League qualification for the second year in a row and lost in the semi-finals of the Europa League.

“He has all the qualities to do the job, yes and I think as well he is one of the favourites,” Wenger told beIN SPORTS.

“He was a leader and he has a good passion for the game and he knows the club well, he knows what is important at the club and he was captain of the club. Why not?

“I left a lot of experience behind me, people who were with me like Steve Bould who has six years’ experience, and Jens Lehmann too. He [Arteta] has been an assistant of Guardiola as well, so overall I think he has the qualities.”

Wenger will not be involved in the board’s decision over his successor at Arsenal, though.

“I don’t want to influence [the appointment] publicly,” Wenger said.

“Because for me I believe it is important that they make their choice in an objective way and after they make a decision I will support them.”