BBC Latest ! – Arsenal Set To Trigger £80m Release Clause For Mauro Icardi

Mauro Icardi is keen to remain with Inter Milan, but his wife and agent Wanda Nara has confirmed interest from Arsenal and Tottenham Hotspur for the striker among other clubs. The Argentine is said to be keen to remain at the Italian club, but his representative has accused the club of talking to interested suitors despite stating their interest to keep him at the San Siro.

Arsene Wenger is still in the market for a striker and has been linked with Icardi prior to this winter’s transfer window. The Frenchman has made it clear that he will bring in a new frontman this winter despite the club signing Lucas Perez in the summer and still having Olivier Giroud at the club.

The Argentine striker, however, has been in fine form for Inter in the last couple of seasons and will be available for a much lower fee. But he is unlikely to leave after his agent admitted that they are ready to renew his contract, which still has three more years. Nara has accused the club of going back on their promise and made it clear that there are no talks being held with other clubs despite the interest.

“We want to stay in Milan. People say I am a mercenary, but I am not. [Inter] have to say the truth. They can’t say Icardi is not for sale and then talk to other clubs,” Icardi’s agent said, as quoted by the BBC.

“I’ve asked for a renewal because the club had promised me a renewal. Last year we accepted their conditions, which mean a lower salary, the sale of the 50% of Mauro’s economic rights and there is no release clause on his contract. They have to keep their promises.”

“There are many offers, but I do not negotiate with other clubs. I only talk about Mauro’s contract, that’s my role, not doing negotiations. Atletico Madrid, Tottenham and Arsenal have made contact. Napoli and Roma are also interested now,” she explained.

POPULAR STORIES

Add a Comment