Could Arsenal really lose out to Roma for transfer target?

A few weeks back and you would have felt fairly certain that Arsenal were going to sign the QPR and Brazil International goalkeeper Julio Cesar this summer, however now it seems a lot less likely we will see the much favoured 33 year old at the Emirates next season, with Roma displaying a strong interest. Whilst impressing with Brazil at the Confederations Cup, Cesar responded to the media’s questions regarding the player’s future.

“I’m happy to hear about the Roma interest,” he said. “But at the moment I don’t want to talk about my future. I am only thinking about Brazil. But I’m here at the moment and QPR will decide my future as well.”

Although there is just interest from Roma so far, it does suggest that Arsenal may lose out on their main goalkeeping target because previous reports had suggested that the club had come to a pre-contract agreement to sign Cesar this summer. This now seems to be rubbish, and Arsenal could be snubbed by Cesar for a second time. Last summer Cesar also turned down a move to Arsenal, and in fact signed for fellow London club Queen’s Park Rangers, in a move heavily driven by money.

It soon became clear to Cesar that this was the wrong move but he continued to battle and impressed greatly in the Premier League, but was unable to save QPR from relegation back to the Npower Championship. Cesar is a popular candidate amongst Arsenal fans because not only does he have pure talent, experience and a good record. But he would also be cheap and would generally compete equally alongside Szczseny.

I must admit I wasn’t completely sure if signing a new goalkeeper this summer was always necessary because I’ve always been keen and supported Szczsney, however I do recognise it would be good for him to have someone of Cesar’s capability and experience to challenge the Polish International for the number one spot, especially if we see either Fabianski or Mannone leave the Gunners this summer. I don’t suppose we will know anymore until the Confederations Cup finishes.

POPULAR STORIES

Add a Comment