Done Deal: Cristiano Ronaldo in Arsenal Jersey spotted at London Colney

Newly stepped-down Arsenal manager, Arsene Wenger shows his regrets not signing Real Madrid star Cristiano Ronaldo, claiming a deal was close for the Portugal talisman.

“I nearly signed Ronaldo and I think that would have changed the history of Arsenal Football Club,” Wenger said to Arsenal fans in a Q&A.

“The Ronaldo story was very, very close.”

Wenger wanted to sign Ronaldo while he was at Sporting Lisbon, but missed out when he joined Manchester United.

The Portugal star then developed into one of the best players in history while in Manchester before moving to Real Madrid.

He added: “[Lionel] Messi as well, because we were interested in him.

“When Fabregas came here we asked Messi and [Gerard] Pique to join as well, that didn’t work.”

Arsenal are hoping to announce Wenger’s replacement at the Emirates before the World Cup begins next month.