Done & Dusted! New signing joins team at the Emirates

Rumored Arsenal target Leon Goretzka has been told to decide on his Schalke future before the end of the winter transfer window.

The 22-year-old midfielder has been linked with a move to the Emirates for months after hesitating on penning a new deal at the Bundesliga side.

And chiefs at the German side expect him to reveal in the coming weeks whether he will commit to a new deal.

Goretzka’s contract expires this summer and he has been heavily linked with a move away from the club with Arsenal, Barcelona, Bayern Munich and Manchester United all said to be vying for his signature.

With a lot of speculation over his future, chairman of Schalke’s supervisory board Clemens Tonnies has insisted there will be an update before the end of the month.

“We’ve done everything to ensure he stays,” Tonnies told Welt am Sonntag

“In January, he wants to say what he’s doing. Schalke have accepted the financial conditions of Leon and his management.

“He was also important for the sporting development of the team last summer and, after the first half of the season, we’re in second place and in the quarter-finals of the DFB-Pokal.

“Leon can and must decide now.”

The 22-year-old said last month that he would decide on his future before the end of this transfer window.

“I have to find out for myself what the next step should be,” he said.

“I have to consider a million things. I am a person who is very meticulous in such decisions. I play through all the scenarios. So I need time.

“There doesn’t exist a deadline, but I think we are in the final phase.

“The final decision will be made in January.”