`
Fabregas – I didn’t learn any tactics at Arsenal! – Arsenal Banter

Fabregas – I didn’t learn any tactics at Arsenal!

Arsenal’s former captain Cesc Fabregas is back in London to face Chelsea in tonight’s Champions League semi-final at Stamford Bridge, and as usual he can’t stop talking about Arsenal!

This time he doesn’t seem to be praising Arsene Wenger (for a change) and instead wanted to impress that he has become much more tactically aware since moving to Barcelona, since he could do anything he liked when he was at the Emirates.

Fabregas, who once famously said that Arsenal never studied their opposing teams as Wenger preferred the team to concentrate on their own state of play, now says that he didn’t learn any tactics at Arsenal either.

Cesc has played 25 games for Barca this season, and had this to say about his new club: “I’ve learned a lot tactically, personally,”

“I know my position on the pitch a lot more. Before I was free to do whatever on the pitch at Arsenal, and I wasn’t tactically good.

“I was playing wherever I wanted, up and down. Here I have to work much more for the team, individually, and think about the team tactically.”

Shame you didn’t work that hard when you were at Arsenal, eh Cesc?

29 thoughts on “Fabregas – I didn’t learn any tactics at Arsenal!

  • April 18, 2012 at 8:54 am

    Cesc really winds me up sometimes. He goes on like he loves Arsenal but has often said things about the club that are less than positive since he’s left. Alot of Gooners still have alot of love for him but personally I dont, He did play some good football for us and filled the CM position well after PV left but he didn’t exactly guide us to any honours as our Captain and then he left us in the lurch for his beloved Barca. Forget Cesc and his false love/pity for Arsenal I say.

  • April 18, 2012 at 8:54 am

    Fabrigas ar u stupid. U ar likened wt nasir,adebayor

  • April 18, 2012 at 9:27 am

    Different club, different role and mentality. In a star studded Barca he is further down the pecking order than at Arsenal. The free role he’s talking about is for Messi and Xavi and he is told to fit in with them, at Arsenal it was the other way around.

  • April 18, 2012 at 9:38 am

    @Archimedes – very well put.

  • April 18, 2012 at 9:47 am

    Wenger believes his total football is enough to win games the reality is you cannot ignore the tatically side of the game. Yes playing good football is a good thing but being solid in defence or making plans for an oppostion better players is essential hence why we have not won anything

    • April 18, 2012 at 11:27 am

      So is that why Arsenal under Wenger went the whole season unbeaten!

  • April 18, 2012 at 10:45 am

    what John said. how anyone can try and have a pop at Fabregas for he has said is laughable.

  • April 18, 2012 at 10:51 am

    @Archimedes exactly, you’ve said it all! thumbs up for you!

  • April 18, 2012 at 11:13 am

    Cesc could telling the truth for once. Arsenal needs to change their ways of playing if they are to win anything. You cant have defenders being strikers and strikers being defenders in a match…tactical awareness is what even made Arsenal lose to wigan. That is why Real Madrid and Barca are still up there…tactics
    However having said that the role Messi plays is similar to the role Cesc played at Arsenal.Messi defenders less than he attacks and can play midfield and striker role at the same time!

  • April 18, 2012 at 11:26 am

    Where does he mentioned that he did not learn any tactics at arsenal? You are making arsenal fans become haters of fabregas. I respect the player and also what he has done for arsenal. He moved on, he is playing for a team in the semi finals of champions league. He’s living his footballing career. He is playing with world class players and need to give what it requires. At Arsenal he was the only one (world class)trying to snatch dead games. I’m a faithful arsenal fan and also accept that my need is not that imperious as the invincibles but you must agree that there are also better teams now

  • April 18, 2012 at 11:37 am

    Jeez u see, first Nasri ,Reyes , Adebayor and now Fabregas.
    Seriously I think wenger has to stop treating the lads as his last borns and treat them like new recruits ready for war.
    Forever Gooner and am proud to be a Gooner.
    One advice to Fabregas, stop talk about Us and consentrate on that ur of urs.
    Ungreateful being

  • April 18, 2012 at 11:54 am

    The fact Barcelona play amazing football, have amazing players and a very very successful coach who buys proper players means you learn more !
    Being surrounded by flops like Ramsy and squilacci and djouru while having one good striker and relying on failed youth, repeated 7 years failure with no new buys is hardly recipe for success.
    Cesc was the best we had. Fans worshipped him.
    We are a flop now with English failed players and a few good foreign stars.
    Let’s stop acting as if we don’t miss him!

    Biased hypocrite arsenal fans!

    Cesc leaves. Nasri leaves. Ramsy plays!
    How f*cked up are we ??????

  • April 18, 2012 at 12:16 pm

    I agree arsenals tactical awareness is sometimes missing, however this lack of so called tactical awareness was lauded when the invincibles played..how many times have we seen Freddie and pires swap sides and cole and viera ending up in front of our strikers and bergkamp sweeping
    This year though we’ve developed a stronger tactical system with arteta and benayoun and even song doing the ‘dirty’ jobs that no one seemed to want to do since viera..yes we aren’t as consistently good as barca but I think we’ve proven that on our day we can beat anyone, so there’s definitely hope and potential for the next year

  • April 18, 2012 at 12:27 pm

    Such comments coming from Fabregas means that he doesn’t understand football, tactics and even himself as a player. Fabregas is forgetting that Wenger played him in different positions and saw his abilities before building the team around him as the play maker. He played 7, 11, 4 before being given the 10 position where he excelled while Flamini, Diaby and now Song covered the defensive midfield.

    He does not also understand that his game level has dropped because, he does not defend alongside his team mates as required in the Barca style of play. if he says Wenger does not study the opposing teams, what of Barca that plays only their style of football without plan B in all their games. Is he also saying that Pep does not know what he is doing tactically?

    I guess, Wenger is to be blamed for not getting quality players to execute his total football otherwise, Arsenal would have been the best team in the world.

    With the mediocre players that Wenger has been working with and to achieve the level of result and standard say so much about his qualities as a coach and manager. Fabregas should hide his head in shame for such comments. If Pep is such a good coach and manager, let him go elsewhere and achieve results like Wenger, Mourhino have done then we can properly rate him as tactically sound.

    Imagine what the so-called “inept” Arsenal squad did against AC Milan, Chelsea, Udinese, Borussia Dortmund etc without the support of the UEFA gang of Referees who bow to the wishes of clubs like Barcelona, Real Madrid, AC Milan, Juventus etc.

    I guess Fabregas thought Arsenal would collapse totally when he leaves so that his exit can be justified and he will have a good laugh. Now, we have even forgotten that he played for Arsenal with RvP and Song taking charge and carrying the team very well.

    Some questions that need to be asked now are 1) As at today is Arsenal worse off than when Fabregas was there?…. NO; 2) Has Fabregas improved Barca team in any way…. NO; 3) Can Fabregas be said to be a shining star in Barca today? …. NO he is more of a squad player than the star he was at Arsenal.

  • April 18, 2012 at 2:13 pm

    next year is wat we said last year…. and agn, here we are!! We cn make Man-City look like a bunch’a school girls, bt we’r caught ball watchng against a team fightn agnst relegation. Kosher is our best defender thus far-that goes without saying, and thats part of the reason we suckd so hard…. We lack consistency, thats why we’l always have to settle for fouth best.

  • April 18, 2012 at 3:34 pm

    Im not too sure about what exactly arsenal players do in training but from what i’ve managed to find out and seen from games, it doesnt seem like arsenal place too much emphasis on interim goals for individual players or what players in particular roles should try and achieve with respect to other teammates movments, they dont have a plan that they can fall back on when they arent sure what to do.

    It seems like we have a much more laisser faire philosphy, we mostly work on passing, practicing 5vs2 etc and in games we rely on the intuition of players to make incisive movements. ( INCISIVE MOVEMENTS AND DEFENCE SPLITTING PASSES ARE NOT PRACTICED, THEY ARE IMPROVISED AT THE TIME OF PLAY) this is why players like fabregas have excelled at arsenal but players like ramsey are struggling a bit to fill that void, i cant be the only one thats noticed ramsey, ALOT of the time doesnt clock the movemnts of other players and often misses oppertunites to make some very good passes simply cause he’s not looking ie. simply doesnt know that a player is making a good run and he shud pass to him.

  • April 18, 2012 at 3:44 pm

    i think arsenal should develop a game plan that they can fall back on in situations where they arent sure what should be done. for example: teams that play the traditional english 442 formation have a protocol plan that serves as “providing individual players with an individual goal when the team goal is currently not in sight” and that plan is to: pass the ball down the wings, put a wide player through and cross the ball into the box.

    similarly arsenal should develop a fall back plan that suits our formation and playing philosphy ( although our philosphy is to have no plan and simply play to our strengths autonomously)

  • April 18, 2012 at 4:06 pm

    everybody, even Arsenal fans know Wenger is tactically clueless (not as bad as ‘Arry) because he has a formation and sticks to it religiously every single game as if every opponent is going to play the very same way. This is why manages like Fergie, Pep and Jose will win a competition like the CL and have had consistent success. These managers recognize that every club has their own personality and you cannot compete with all of them in just one way. You have to be willing to be flexible but we know Arsene doesn’t do anything but 4-3-3 now and he could be losing 10-0 but he wouldn’t make a sub until the magical 60th minute even if a player is out there sitting in a lawn chair with a magazine doing dick all.

    Wenger is predictable and he relies way too much on the talent of his players to win games than of his own tactical nous.

    • April 19, 2012 at 7:20 pm

      I don’t agree. The last time Cesc played against Chelsea in an Arsenal shirt, he ripped them apart and scored. So much for substandard tactics. We beat Chelsea 3-1 that day. What exactly did Cesc do yesterday in a barca shirt? With our rubbish tactics, we beat Chelsea 5-3 in their home this season fair and square and yet the almighty Barca could not even scored them one single goal. Say what you like about our tactics but most top teams maintain their style of play with occasional alterations and arsenal ain’t different. When we played Spurs, we played 4-5-1 and ripped them 5 new a** holes that day. You say we cannot adjust our tactics? Our problem since the dismantling of the invincibles have been endless injuries and the acquisition of substandard players due to a stingy board. With just a little more quality brought in last transfer window and having our key players back from injury, we man handled Man City and Milan at home. Wow. I just love our substandard tactics!

  • April 18, 2012 at 4:35 pm

    I am a little disappointed by the comments made by Fabregas. They seek to denigrate Arsenal and everything Arsenal did for him. Fabregas seemed to imply that he has learned much more from Barca than he ever did with Arsenal. Nothing could be farther from the truth.

    For crying out loud, Fabregas was rated as THE BEST MIDFIELDER IN THE WORLD when he was at Arsenal. It was for that reason Barca pulled all the tricks in their kitty in order to land him; and they did in a most annoying manner. To add salt to injury, they even had the temerity to confess that they bought him, Fabregas, for far less than he was worth. Who made Fabregas what he became to command the kind of respect he so commanded around the world. Now, with him at Barca, and sincerely speaking, does anyone really hear about Fabregas any more? As much as the world knew him when he was at Arsenal? That is not possible where Messi, Iniesta, Xavi, etc have stolen all the attention. So, how much better has Fabregas actually become???????

    Whatever prompted Fabregas to make such comments, it is rather unfortunate that he did not allow himself to be guided by his self-proclaimed love and respect for Arsenal and his mentor, Arsene Wenger – no matter how minute this might be.

    Last line: Barca is good, no doubt. But for those of you who are so f-cked up as to think that Barca are infallible, you ought to know that just like all other great teams across Europe, Barca is currently built around one man, MESSI and they have also lost many matches, even with Messi on. Arsenal was once also built around Henry and later Fabregas. And once a team is built around one particular player, that play roves. For those of us who played some football, we know this for a fact. So I cannot understand what the real intention of Fabregas is with his erroneous allusions. Is he testing the waters/sending a message to RVP?

    Anyway, back to you guys who are ecstatic with the Fabregas comments because it affords you another opportunity to vent your frustrations at Arsene Wenger; I say this, take away Messi from Barca and Barca becomes ordinary and toothless. I know this. You know this. The world knows this. That is why he, Messi is the best player in the world, and boy, ain’t he!

    A few years back Barca was nothing. It was all Real Madrid. Today, Madrid is trying to come back after a few years playing second fiddle. A time will come when Barca will also experience a similar downturn (they have been there before), the kind of which Arsenal have been going through. What this tells you, so-called Arsenal fans, is that you can’t cheat nature. You win some, you lose some. And then plan for a better tomorrow as others take their turns on the podium.

    Gunner for life!!!

  • April 18, 2012 at 5:32 pm

    @ Pius, you have said it all. You understand football. Fabregas is already on his way down without knowing it. Let him watch it.

  • April 18, 2012 at 5:41 pm

    Such comments coming from Fabregas means that he doesn’t understand football, tactics and even himself as a player. Fabregas is forgetting that Wenger played him in different positions and saw his abilities before building the team around him as the play maker. He played 7, 11, 4 before being given the 10 position where he excelled while Flamini, Diaby and now Song covered the defensive midfield.
    He does not also understand that his game level has dropped because, he does not defend alongside his team mates as required in the Barca style of play. If he says that Wenger does not study the opposing teams, what of Barca that plays only their style of football without plan B in all their games. Is he also saying that Pep does not know what he is doing tactically?
    I guess, Wenger is to be blamed for not getting quality players to execute his total football philosophy, otherwise Arsenal would have been the best team in the world.
    With the same young or mediocre players that Wenger has been working with and to achieve the level of result and standard at Arsenal say so much about his qualities as a coach and manager. Fabregas should hide his head in shame for such comments. If Pep is such a good coach and manager, let him go elsewhere and achieve results like Wenger, Mourhino have done then we can properly rate him as tactically sound.
    Imagine what the so-called “inept” Arsenal squad did against AC Milan, Chelsea, Udinese, Borussia Dortmund etc without the support of the UEFA gang of Referees who bow to the wishes of clubs like Barcelona, Real Madrid, AC Milan, Juventus etc.
    I guess Fabregas thought Arsenal would collapse totally when he left in the manner he did, so that his exit can be justified and he will have a good laugh. Now, we have even forgotten that he played for Arsenal with RvP and Song taking charge and carrying the team very well.
    Some questions that need to be asked now are 1) As at today is Arsenal worse off than when Fabregas was there?…. NO; 2) Has Fabregas improved Barca team in any way…. NO; 3) Can Fabregas be said to be a shining star in Barca today? …. NO he is more of a squad player than the star he was at Arsenal.

  • April 18, 2012 at 6:00 pm

    You no good 2 faced little scumbag.
    We developed you into the player you are. Yeah you
    certainly do know your place now, and that’s keeping
    that bench nice and warm for xavi or iniesta
    Gooner for life

  • April 18, 2012 at 6:13 pm

    Fab shud stop 2b silly. After being overshowed @ barca now he is trying 2 steal the show juz bcoz he is going 2 play in england against chelsea. Let him proof his antics at field.

  • April 19, 2012 at 8:43 am

    Mr Fabregas, how come all your tactics failed yesternight as Chelsea beat you! Ah ah

  • April 19, 2012 at 12:29 pm

    Our Ex CAPITAN said like that???? I am not surprise as for him Barca is the most important thing for him than Arsenal!!

  • April 19, 2012 at 7:03 pm

    Whatever. Arsenal still beat Barca at the Emirates with our substandard tactics and were it not for the crazy referee that gave Van Persie a yellow card, we would have beaten them at camp nou. Every team has its own set up. Yes Barcelona has better players because they spend more money on transfers but this same arsenal spurned the invincibles. Whatever. What else would he have said now that Barca pays his salary?

  • April 19, 2012 at 7:11 pm

    Arsenal made this guy who he is. Why did Barca sell him as a teenager? And then after we have raised him and taught him everything he knew as an adult player, they start harassing us and wanting him back. Nonsense. At Barcelona, Fabregas is not free. He cannot freely express himself as the gifted footballing artist that he is. Wenger gave him the wings to soar and confidently express himself at Arsenal and this is the thanks we get? Silly boy. The last time he played against Chelsea in an Arsenal shirt, he ripped them apart and scored. We beat them 3-1 that day. What exactly did Cesc do yesterday in a barca shirt? With our rubbish tactics, we beat Chelsea 5-3 in their home this season fair and square and yet the almighty Barca could not even scored them one single goal.