Gunners Champions League Punt?

Arsenal players training

Are the Gunners worth a punt for the Champions League? This may sound like wishful thinking and it’s not the sort of thing you’d go staking your life on- but a best-priced 18-1 looks like tremendously good value given the way we’re playing at the moment.

We all know that we can beat anyone on our day and, the better the opposition plays – the better we tend to play. There is no way, for example, that Arsenal would have been so embarrassingly outplayed as were Manchester City by Bayern Munich in their own back yard a few weeks back. That isn’t to say we may not have lost – but the manner of the losing, IF that was to happen, would have been very different indeed. Even Barcelona at their absolute peak were matched, and then some, by Arsenal on top form at The Emirates and it was a joy to behold.

Of course, what we lack in Europe is consistency, and if you did have to stake your life on the outcome of the Champions League then it would probably be on a repeat win for Bayern, if we’re being honest, but then the champions league odds reflect this in spades at 5/2 at the time of writing.

They’re followed by Barca at 9/2, then Real Madrid at 5/1, then there’s a bit of a gap to Chelsea and Paris St. Germain both at 14s then the Gunners, Man City, Borussia Dortmund and Atletico Madrid each around 16-18/1.

Now of all those teams, Arsenal look the best value because of our ability to beat anyone on the day. If we can keep playing well at home, in particular, there’s no reason we can’t reach the quarter finals and if we do that – you can bet we won’t be 16/1 anymore – so it’s worth a punt with cash you can comfortably afford to lose.

Of course, there’s one team we haven’t mentioned and that’s the unmentionables from the red half of Manchester who, it pains to point out, also represent quite good value at a best-priced 20/1; odds which reflect the slight doubts over their qualification for the knockout stage perhaps.

We will see next May when the final is played on the 24th at the Estádio da Luz in Lisbon, Portugal, home to two-time winners and five-time runners-up, Benfica. Let’s hope we need to book our flights and let’s hope a free bet makes it a free trip!