He’s French, He’s Cheap, So Is Gourcuff Coming To Arsenal?

Every single summer Arsenal are linked with Yoann Gourcuff and for little known reason too. I can only assume that the media links him with Arsenal because Wenger once held an interest in him when he was beginning to show real talent in his homeland of France when he was just 22, which was 5 years ago.

Now 27, and the links are persisting but Arsenal have never seemed to actually hold any formal talks, just the usual ‘interest’. But now could some light finally be shed on this rumour that’s been on the merry-go-round for years, because Gourcuff’s club president, Jean-Michel Aulas, has come out and said that the player would be willing to take a pay cut to join the Gunner’s in North London.

He told L’Equipe, “All that I know, if I understood correctly, is that he was ready to lower his salary to go to Arsenal, but that’s not the same thing. I spoke to his lawyer two weeks ago and he asked for the power of attorney to negotiate a transfer. I said no, but I would be keen to offer a non-exclusive power of attorney to see what happens.”

Now unless Arsenal have made contact this summer this is a reasonably strange comment to make. Is the player trying to push through a move to Arsenal or is the Lyon president trying to gain interest in a big money move? Arsenal are known to have made contact with the Ligue 1 side at least twice this summer, with enquiries over Grenier and Gonalons, but no such thing has been mentioned about Gourcuff until now.

The French midfielder wouldn’t command too much of a fee, with the valuation expected at around £8 million, half the price Lyon paid for the player three years ago from Bordeaux. Would he be worth a punt if there is some genuine interest? Although times are desperate, I’d say no because quite simply he would be nothing more than a bench player and if we make any more additions maybe nothing more than a squad rotation player. We may be desperate to fill positions but I can guarantee that Gourcuff isn’t someone we should be looking at this summer.

One thought on “He’s French, He’s Cheap, So Is Gourcuff Coming To Arsenal?

  • August 13, 2013 at 6:40 pm

    hes a player that most hold high!hes even said to take pay cut not many players do that do they,we need some width after gervino left,and his wage would be lower than gervino so whats the problem?its to easy and we dont do easy!