Hit Back; David Ospina points words to Manager

David Ospina revealed that he had other offers to leave Arsenal but opted for Napoli on loan.

The Colombian, who is already coming in for criticism because of his performances, is likely to spend a large part of the season on the bench at Napoli when their 21-year-old keeper, Alex Meret, returns from the broken arm he picked up during one of his first training sessions with the club in July.

Napoli paid €22m for the Italian who is seen as Pep Reina’s heir.

Ospina has conceded five goals from just five shots in only two matches and Meret is expected back after the international break.

Speaking to the media in his home country ahead of this round of international fixtures, Ospina explained why he chose the Serie A side.

“It was fast,” Ospina said. “We had other offers on the table and Napoli came in last and the decision was made to face this project, [I am] grateful to the manager [Carlo Ancelotti] for this confidence that he has shown me.

“[I feel] happy, [I’m] adapting as quickly as possible. I’ve been there for 2 weeks and I’m very happy to get to Napoli”

Napoli have an option to buy Ospina at the end of his loan deal but it is unlikely he will convince them to part with more cash for his signature.

He will still have one year left on his Arsenal contract when his loan finished.