` I Was Reluctant To Resign Flamini – Wenger – Arsenal Banter

I Was Reluctant To Resign Flamini – Wenger

Mathieu Flamini

In his search for a new defensive midfielder for the new season, Arsenal were linked with plethora of options from the Premier League to the French Ligue and then Spanish La Liga but eventually, he settled for free agent Mathieu Flamini who had returned to the Emirates for the purpose of maintaining his fitness. He was hugely berated for his decision and for people that thought the decision to bring back Flamini was a route one decision, they are in for a shock.

“First of all I believe that he realised what he had here,” Wenger told Arsenal Player. “When you’re very young, it is difficult to understand what he had at Arsenal.

“I must say I was reluctant to sign him again but he was so honest in his statement that he wants to play the kind of football we play, that he wants to help us to win. He convinced me through his attitude and his desire in training that he will be the right signing for us.

“It was his attitude. He could have gone somewhere else. He had offers but he wanted to put it right with this club and I think he felt somewhere that he had something to bring to the piece here. He was determined to do that.” ( Quotes taking from Arsenal player ).

From what Wenger said, it is obvious Wenger allowed him back to have a second chance at redeeming himself. Wenger isn’t a fan of bringing players that walked away from the club in acrimonious terms but the fact that Flamini was available for free must have encouraged Wenger to go for him rather than splashing out on another player. Flamini is cost effective as he was a free agent while his wages was also decent as against Felliani that would have cost over 20 million Pounds in transfer fee and wanted 100k pounds in weekly wages and unlike Fellaini, Flamini is known  for performing well in the most popular games.

About him been desirous of righting the wrongs of the past, I can already see the traces. In the matches he has played since his return notably the North London derby and at Sunderland, he has played out his heart, marshaled the midfield and not shied away from physical duels. This is something that has been missing in our midfield since Song left.

Thanks to Wenger bringing back the Frenchman, we still have ample money to splash out on a striker in January and hopefully, the Frenchman would get us a striker in the mould of Ozil.

One thought on “I Was Reluctant To Resign Flamini – Wenger

  • September 17, 2013 at 8:59 pm

    Have to agree that the Sweeney Flamini has been that midfield general that we haven’t seen since Gilberto (forget Song). He is there sticking his foot in and just tidying up things in front of the back 4.