Is Cabaye Really The Answer For Arsenal?

Arsenal’s latest bid has been reported across the English media as being a £10 million bid for Newcastle midfielder Yohan Cabaye. The bid was outright rejected, but Newcastle manager Alan Pardew didn’t give much insight into the dealings, when facing the press before the defeat to Man City last night.

It is believed that Arsenal made the bid shortly after the club were made aware that Aaron Ramsey, Tomas Rosicky were struggling with niggling injuies, whilst Alex Oxlade Chamberlain could be out for a massive six months, if his scan shows serious damage to his knee.

French international Cabaye joined Newcastle United from Ligue 1 side Lille in 2011 and reached real heights in his first season of English football, helping the club reach 5th place in the Premier League. Last season was very different for Newcastle, as they struggled around the bottom half of the table and it’s possibly largely down to the fact Cabaye was forced away with injuries for a lot of the campaign, however it didn’t stop persistent interest from PSG and now seemingly Arsenal.

Newcastle also played Manchester City last night, but Cabaye who is now fully fit was dropped from the side following Arsenal’s bid, but Pardew was quick to confirm that there would be no further movement on the transfer as of yet. Pardew was questioned for why he decided to leave Cabaye out of their defeat to City, raising assumptions that Cabaye was away from the Newcastle squad set to move to Arsenal, however he rejected these claims suggesting that the player wouldn’t have been capable of keeping his mind on the game.

“What I can confirm is that, on the eve of a game, we had a bid for a player that we don’t think is acceptable. Therefore, I have to pick what I think is a team out here that’s going to get us a result. The rights and wrongs of that bid are for other people to make their own opinion. I know what my opinion of it is.”  Alan Pardew Told BBC

That suggests to me that Cabaye is keen on the move to Arsenal, or there would have been no problem. Cabaye isn’t top top quality in my opinion. He is good but not exactly a world beater and so I have mixed thoughts on this movement. Finally I’m pleased that we have made some movement in the market and overall if we manage to get Cabaye I won’t be disappointed, however for the £15m valuation they supposedly want, are there not better players available?