Sep 132011

Arsenal central defender Laurent Koscielny is very glad Per Mertesacker joined the club and had very big words to say about the big German defender.

Standing at an impressive 6 ft 6 or 198cm, Per Mertesacker seems to be a little out of his league in an English premier League where central defenders, although fairly tall, don’t usually reach those heights. Although he would seem very slow, Mertesacker is a surprisingly versatile player and he might impress the Premier League watchers with his precision in the defensive area, and with his heading skills in the opponent’s box.

After only one game alongside the German international, Koscielny formed a very good idea about his new partner’s skills.

“He is a very good defender with a lot of experience,”, said the Frenchman

“He is a German international and is really important for us on the pitch.

“He is tall which is good for our physical side, and he will help me on the pitch with defensive corners.”

“We must defend very well and make a clean-sheet more possible,” he said.

“It is very important to defend together. We have the quality and it is in our hands to perform, along with intelligent players who put the effort in on the pitch.

“We have new players who have arrived at the Club, and it is important for us that they can provide some technical creativity in midfield.”

Koscielny will have to pair up with Mertesacker in the central of the defensive area until Vermaelen will be fit again. He will have to work as hard as possible to maintain the starting position once Vermaelen will be back.

 Leave a Reply

(required)

(required)