Lucas Perez: If Arsenal doesnt work out, there is always the opportunity to go back to Deportivo

Lucas Perez is open to a move back to Deportivo this summer, having admitted the little playing time he gets at Arsenal is not what he bargained for.

The 28-year old forward, currently out with a thigh muscle strain, has made 21 appearances across all competitions for Arsene Wenger’s side this season. With only two league starts and a hat-trick in the Champions League against Basel when he started on the wing, it is clear he had high expectations when he joined the club for £17m last summer.

During an interview with Spanish publication La Voz de Galicia, he said that he felt if he had been allowed more on the pitch, his presence could have given Arsenal more advantage in the race for the Premier League title – concerns that he had aired with Wenger too.

As quoted by the Daily Mail he said, “This season has been difficult because I think I’ve deserved to play more. I may not have done as well as others, but if they’d have given me more minutes I’d have produced better numbers: more goals and more assists.

I’ve spoken to the coach and he admits as much, but he has own ideas and I respect that. I’d like more opportunities because I think I deserve them, but I’ll have to accept what comes my way,” Perez continued.

17 goals and 10 assists in the La Liga last season gave Wenger the courage to take a risk on a relatively unknown player at the time, but Perez’s comment hinted he would welcome a return to the Riazor.

I would like to prove that I’ve got the quality to win things with Arsenal. But if the moment comes when I can’t do that any more, or if they decide to transfer me, there is always the opportunity to go back to Depor.

I know there are other clubs who want to sign me and my intention is to play in the Champions League. But in the summer we will see if Depor is still an option.

His ability to play in a range of different attack-minded role means that if he was presently fit, there’s no reason why Wenger wouldn’t use the Spaniard alongside Özil in a creative role.

Perez goal record this season has impressed many considering the little time he gets to play, but he has also been plagued with injuries and this has thrown his chances of regular feature out the window.

With Perez’s latest comment though, it seems a summer exit is on the horizon and we will never get to witness him in action.

POPULAR STORIES

Add a Comment