`
Mesut Ozil waiting for Wenger before penning a new deal – Arsenal Banter

Mesut Ozil waiting for Wenger before penning a new deal

Mesut Ozil said in an interview that he would hold on to hear his boss Arsene Wenger’s decision before he recommits his future to the club.

He said the Frenchman’s decision will affect him and the whole club in a big way. Ozil’s contract is valid till 2018 but he has withheld his pen from signing a new deal as Wenger’s own future is undecided.

Wenger has had to endure constant protest from supporters who have shown their displeasure at his managerial ways.

In spite of all that, the club hierarchy has not lost their faith in the 67-year-old as another offer  for the next season and beyond has been placed before him.

The World Cup winner, in a recent interview, said he is waiting for Wenger to decide before he makes up his mind.

“It’s not just important for me but for the whole club,” Ozil told the Daily Mail. “It’s important to know if he stays or if he goes. We need to think towards next season.

“He’s very important. In my career I’ve always made decisions not just because of clubs but managers, too. As a footballer, it’s important to have the manager’s trust and believe they can develop you.

“When I went from Madrid to Arsenal, I came for him because I told him at the time he’d be my first option. That was the case. We still have a super understanding today.

“I have his trust, he’s a superb coach. He’s been successful for many years, he’s been here for 20 years and has always managed to get Arsenal to reach the Champions League, making Arsenal a big club. He deserves to be shown respect.”