Mignolet Leaves Arsenal Free To Sign Reina?

Pepe Reina is a player Arsenal will be familiar with having played against the Liverpool number one and Spanish international enough times in the Premier League, as well as being, according to reports, a long term target for Arsene Wenger.

With Sunderland goalkeeper Simon Mignolet, who was also an Arsenal transfer target according to reports, set to join the Liverpool, Reina could be soon on his way out of Anfield. There is no way that Liverpool are going to place Mignolet on the bench, especially after splashing out £9 million on him, although they are known for their stupid spending. £35 million for Andy Carroll anyone? Not to mention £20 million for Stewart Downing, but the fact remains that it’s ever likely Mignolet will be the Liverpool number one next season, at the expense of Reina.

Talking about Mignolet’s arrival Reina was of course quick to brush away the suggestions of being replaced by saying that competition is good; “Every team needs competitors, and when it’s positive it is more than welcome. If it is finally done I’ll welcome him a lot, and anything he needs, I’m here.”

However I feel he will be off this summer and Arsenal could realistically be his destination. Wenger has been a long term admirer of the 30 year old and has even tried to sign him in the past. Reina even admitted that he came closer to joining Arsenal but of course as we know the move never materialised, but now with Arsenal on the lookout for a new keeper and Reina more than likely to leave I wouldn’t be surprised if Le Prof made his move.

Reina would probably cost in the excess of £6 million, but his wage would be extortionate, which is one of the reasons why I don’t wish for Arsenal to sign him, not to mention the more than often blunders he seems to be known for. However as someone who could realistically give Szczseny a real challenge, Reina may be a serious candidate. We need experience from a backup keeper but also one who still has talent and aside from Cesar, I think Reina could be the only other option.

I will once again reiterate I don’t particularly wish to see Reina at Arsenal next season, but with Wenger being a massive fan, I honestly wouldn’t be surprised! Would you?