Official: Arsenal announces the signing of Lucas Torreira & friend

Arsenal’s new signing Lucas Torreira has been handed the number 11 shirt, until recently owned by Mesut Ozil, after the Gunners confirmed his arrival from Sampdoria.

The Uruguyan midfielder, who has been at the World Cup with Uruguay, will meet up with his new teammates for pre-season training in a few weeks after a well-deserved rest.

“I feel very happy,” he told Arsenal.com. “I want to make the most of this opportunity life has given me. I am really looking forward to starting this new adventure.

“For a while I’ve been receiving loads of messages in my social media accounts. I guess it’s all down to the fact there were talks of me moving to Arsenal even before the World Cup started. I am very happy and I hope I can meet all the fans very soon.”

On Arsenal fans tracking his flight to London, he added: “It’s a very positive thing that people want to welcome me.

“It makes me feel comfortable. Now I am calm and I look forward to the future, which for sure will be very nice.”

New head coach Unai Emery is also enthusiastic at the prospect of working with Torreira.

“In Lucas Torreira, we have signed a young player who is a very bright talent in the game,” he told Arsenal.com.

“A midfielder with great quality, I have enjoyed watching his performances for Sampdoria in the past two seasons, and we all saw him do very well for Uruguay in the World Cup.

“He is a young player already with good experience, but who wants to keep on growing. We welcome Lucas to Arsenal and look forward to him joining us soon for pre-season.”