2015 UEFA CHAMPIONS LEAGUE FINAL HOTELS, BERLIN June 6th - CLICK HERE for HOTELS PACKAGES>
Sep 052012

New signing Lukas Podolski believes Arsenal can win the EPL and become English champions if they continue to perform as they did against Liverpool last weekend. Podolski, who joined Arsenal from FC Koln in the summer, opened his Arsenal goal account against Liverpool. The Germany international says he expected criticism after Arsenal failed to score in their first two matches, but insists the club can be one of the teams fighting for the title come the end of the season and even win it.

Podolski said, “The Premier League is very hard to win. It is not like Spain, where only Real Madrid and Barcelona fight for La Liga. In the Premier League, you have five or six teams who want the title. We are one of those and must fight for it. We have 35 matches more and must play in all of them like we did at Liverpool. When you have played teams like Sunderland and Stoke and not picked up three points in either game, you have to expect headlines saying you’re no good. It is what I have been used to, no matter whether I’m playing for Koln, Munich or Arsenal. If you don’t win the matches you have to expect there will be a negative atmosphere. We are a big club and we want to win every game. From the first two matches we only picked up one point each game, which was not good enough. But if we play like we did at Liverpool, then we will fight for the title.”

The forward also believes that Arsene Wenger is the right man for the club and that he will guide the team to success this campaign, despite the loss of last season’s top goalscorer Robin van Persie.

“I’ve had a lot of managers, I think 10 of them. But Arsene Wenger is a great coach, one of the best in the world. Before I came, I spoke to him about the style of the club, the football he wants us to play. Our first goal showed what I mean – good passing, running, keeping the ball and then scoring the goal. This style of Arsenal is my style. I like this. We are a team that likes to pass the ball, playing one or two touches. But to win in the Premier League you must also be prepared to fight and to run. We did this well. I have been asked to play on the left, but you can see that I am free to leave that position and play inside. I don’t just have to play wide, I can go in the middle to link up with Abou or Santi. With Santi, in training, I’ve loved the way it has gone. All the time we work on this, one and two touches. You could see that for our goals at Liverpool. He passed to me for the first one, and then I gave the assist to him for the second. But we have only played three matches and must keep on improving.”

With Podolski playing well the Gunners are sure to rack up bags of goals this season. If he and Cazorla continue to find each other and link up play together as they did against Liverpool, they’ll be sure to shred any teams defensive line. After the international break, the next on the chopping block will be Southampton and I for one can’t wait to see the German International in action again.

Will you be placing a bet on The Gunners this year? Why not come and check out all of the latest betting odds on upcoming matches at http://www.betfair.com/.

  1. A very goos atitude from Podoski, but what is getting me worried is the fact that Southampton has played with the two Manchester clubs, and what makes the two games similar is the fact that the two scores ended 3-2. ironically these are the two stronger oppositions we have on the EPL at the moment. Now coming back home,we have played 3 games and havent concieved any goal yet. Can this continue with Southampton? We need to continue our clean sheet even with them.

  2. welldone podolski,keep it up,bt wots gonna happen at southampton,am worried coz ther are proving stubborn this season than last.

 Leave a Reply

(required)

(required)