Spanish striker on Arsenal radar

The 24-year-old Spanish striker, Adrian Lopez, had an impressive start to his Atletico Madrid career after signing from Deportivo. He scored 11 goals in 18 appearances last season as Atletico won the Europa league. Subsequently, he was linked with clubs like Arsenal, Barcelona and Tottenham.

Adrian, who won the Golden boot in the 2011 U-21 European championships, was then assured of a bumper contract by Atletico who valued him highly. Atletico did offer him a huge contract, but reports suggest that talks between the player and the club have stalled.

Adrian, in an interview a few days back, said –

“I’m very happy here. I have a few years left at Atletico Madrid. It’s very important to continue to work every day, and be excited at every practice and every game”.

Although the Spanish forward still has 3 years left in his current contract, he has a £14.5million release clause in his contract. Reports from Spain suggest that both Arsenal and Tottenham are willing to exploit the release clause in January. That is unless Adrian Lopez signs a new contract by then and increases the release clause. Arsenal, Liverpool and Tottenham are somewhat short in numbers up front. Even if Giroud starts to fire, Arsenal are short on cover so, will Wenger wave his chequebook?

6 thoughts on “Spanish striker on Arsenal radar

  • September 10, 2012 at 6:25 pm

    If A. Lopez is good,Then wenger bring him to Emmirates on January to add some fire works in our team coz currently we dont have a scoring machine like rvp whom we lost to man u.

  • September 10, 2012 at 6:58 pm

    Even Giroud start firing goals 4 arsenal, we stil need one more striker up front, so Mr wenger do sometin plssss. Baba ijebu

  • September 10, 2012 at 7:21 pm

    Adrian wil b very good addition to the squad,pls AS go
    Get him,he’s the wright man for the job

  • September 10, 2012 at 11:01 pm

    It is 9ice 2 hear and I believe dat by doin dis 2 d club all de fan will b happy 2 welcome lopez 2 d emirate.pls pro.wengar do sumtyn good 4 us so dat we wil b happy at last

  • September 10, 2012 at 11:56 pm

    Hmmmm, hi 2 arsenal fans all over d glob, i fink lee prof should try nd get dis guy or any oda cos we ar seriously lacking a goal scorer up front bt let still opp on giroud 2 do d job. Greatest gunner’s