Stan Kroenke finally sends shots at Aliko Dangote

Africa’s Billionaire has said he will turn his attentions away from Arsenal and buy another football club, if Stan Kroenke makes it clear he will not sell to him.

Aliko Dangote, from Nigeria, is an Arsenal fan worth a reported £8.5 billion and has never hidden his desire to one day take over at the north London club.

In recent years he has made several statements about launching a future takeover bid, announcing he will make his move once he finishes building one of the world’s largest oil refineries in Lagos, Nigeria.

“We will go after Arsenal from 2020, even if somebody buys, we will still go after it,” Dangote said in July.

That comment followed on from a statement he made in August 2017 where he made it clear he believed he would be able to tempt Kroenke into doing business.

“If they get the right offer, I’m sure they would walk away,’ he said. “Someone will give them an offer that will make them seriously consider walking away.

“And when we finish the refinery, I think we will be in a position to do that.’

But, speaking to Bloomberg TV at the New Economy Forum in Singapore, the 61-year-old has now hinted he may have to look elsewhere if Kroenke – who has just completed a full takeover at the Emirates after a power battle with Alisher Usmanov – does not want to sell.

“I’m very attached to Arsenal but if he won’t sell, I might have to change,” said Dangote.

“I’m very much a fan of football. I’ll like to have a club. I don’t have to own Arsenal.”

“By the time we’ve finished [the oil refinery], we’ll be a $30bn [£22.8bn] company in terms of revenue.”

Dangote added that the refinery in Lagos is on track to start producing fuel in early 2020.