`
Through the Transfer Window….. – Arsenal Banter

Through the Transfer Window…..

It’s that time of year when the Transfer Window arrives and Arsenal are linked with everybody and their dog.  The only problem is that Man City have signed everybody and Arsenal’s bid for the dog is way lower than the asking price.

Still, it’s more than likely that there will be a couple of puppies going cheap in another country, so that will sort of have to do.

This is what we’ve had to get used to over the last 4 or 5 years as an Arsenal fan.  It’s like watching your neighbour parking his new Lamborghini Aguero in his driveway while you try and sneak your new Ford Chamberlain into your drive, under cover of dark.  Not that there’s anything wrong with Chamberlain, long-term.  He might turn out to be a great buy, but is he the difference between a winning or losing a trophy, any trophy? No.  He isn’t.

The transfer policy needs to be looked at so that there are experienced players being introduced or kept at the club.  When Alan Hansen said that you don’t win anything with kids, he was technically correct, but he failed to remember that Man Utd still had a nucleus of experienced players in their squad that helped to integrate the youngsters into the system.  Plus, Hansen often likes to hear the sound of his own quasi-Scottish arrogant accent.

Arsene Wenger seems to be going down the arrogant route that Hansen took.  He never listens to the fans, who have been more than patient; and he never listens to former players – even ones that played under him,  like Nigel Winterburn.

Everybody knows what is wrong with Arsenal, except Wenger.  He thinks that as soon as someone is out of nappies, they’re ready for the first team.  He thinks that if you are technically gifted and fast, you’re ready for the first team, even if you are too short to get onto most rides at Alton Towers and even if you were, you’re not brave enough or mentally strong enough to handle it.

Sometimes you need to go out and buy a round peg to fill a round hole.  Don’t buy a smaller, oval peg and assume it will grow and change to fit what you are looking for.

One thought on “Through the Transfer Window…..

  • August 15, 2011 at 2:15 pm

    Why do Arsenal keep selling their best players and then buy so-so ones? Doesn’t anybody in the Arsenal hierarchy understand that 6 years without a trophy is unacceptable?
    Barcelona are already gloating about how they got a bargain and have slapped a £175m buy-out clause onto Cesc’s contract . Where’s the business acumen of the board gone?
    If I were Samir Nasri I’d bugger off to Manchester or Chelsea if they were offering almost twice my salary – for goodness sake, pay the man his “market” price for his services , either that or see him leave .What’s another year without a trophy?
    Soon a top-four finish will not be so straightforward given Liverpool’s transfer dealings and we may be enjoying Europa League action in years to come. Even Man U are spending like silly and they bloody won the league last year!
    Wenger has done a sterling job but it might be time for a change , I never thought I’d say that but alas I think the time has come.