Walcott closer to Arsenal contract after impressing Wenger as a striker

The situation regarding Theo Walcott has been dragged through the mud more times than needed. The winger, as we all know, wishes to play up front as a striker and helped his cause yesterday by bagging two goals against Coventry. However, Wenger was quick to answer any questions about Walcott’s future and talked about whether he should in fact allow the England international to be given a chance to prove that he could be utilized as a striker.

Speaking after the victory over Coventry, Wenger was asked to discuss Walcott’s recent comments about his desire to play as a striker.

Wenger was quoted as saying, ‘I am not against [Walcott playing up front], not at all. We will try. At the moment we have a big competition up front, we have a different formula and the team is doing well.’

“His time will come for that and at the moment we have to be a bit patient. He is a great finisher now, Walcott, in front of goal he is absolutely amazing.’

Arsene Wenger was also keen to plead to the supporters to have patience over Walcott’s ongoing contract saga which is yet to be resolved.

‘We all want him to stay. I always said exactly the same. I always said let’s hope that we can sign up and extend [his contract]. I speak to Theo of course,’ Wenger added.

There is little doubt in my mind that Wenger wants Walcott to remain at Arsenal. I think the manager wants the issue to now be resolved but I don’t see him simply rolling over to the England international’s demands and especially if money is concerned. If Wenger says 75k is the highest Walcott will get for now, then that’s exactly what the winger can expect. If Walcott wants the chance to play upfront, then he should continue scoring goals… Simple as.

12 thoughts on “Walcott closer to Arsenal contract after impressing Wenger as a striker

  • September 27, 2012 at 4:11 pm

    To see full highlights of arsenal 6 – 1 Coventry streaker invades the pitch goto:

  • September 27, 2012 at 4:22 pm

    Prof should try him coz he is clever waiting a thro’ ball,his shooting ability is great n his speed leaves defenders blind.Wonderful watchin him as a striker

  • September 27, 2012 at 4:35 pm

    Wot i only have 2 say is dat wenger shld just giv him a trier, sinc he bliv can do it upfront and i also bliv dat he wil do it. Gooners 4 life

  • September 27, 2012 at 4:55 pm

    Hi keep banging thé Goals, you next Gunners hero.

  • September 27, 2012 at 5:04 pm

    Yes i also seconded d point of view nd give walcot a trial as of dat gervinho.

  • September 27, 2012 at 5:05 pm

    Yes i also seconded d point of view nd give walcot a trial as of dat gervinho nd see wat is capable of.

  • September 27, 2012 at 5:11 pm

    Ok gooood idea

  • September 27, 2012 at 5:53 pm

    AW is lying.he said that about all the players who ditched us.again there is no strong competition upfront.Giroud,Gervinho…..is that competition?

  • September 27, 2012 at 6:07 pm

    I think Wenger should give him a chance. He has the speed and he his quick on the ball.

  • September 27, 2012 at 6:29 pm

    i just think walcott is amazing but he needs to be patient just as the boss has admitted

  • September 27, 2012 at 7:07 pm

    Mr. wenger should give him the chance to play as a striker because he is a good finisher than Givinho.

  • September 30, 2012 at 12:25 am

    Plz wenger as at d moment TW iz beta of of a striker dan G12 n even G27.he az bin provin diz n remember we bought him as a striker.plz let him start d next match n u wud b convince gogogogogogogo THEO 14