Wenger:”The new contract also depends on Robin Van Persie”

Arsenal’s manager Arsene Wenger seems very fond of the way Robin Van Persie performed lately, and he doesn’t worry that the Dutchman is stalling the contract extensions a bit saying that two seasons is a very long time in football and that he is not yet afraid of the possibility to lose the star striker.

“That [a new contract] depends on us and on Robin,” said Wenger.

“On our side we are quite clear so that is no problem. I do not say there is no problem because it does not depend only on us but we are clear with our intention.”

“After that you have to respect that he has nearly two years to go so let’s not make an immediate issue of something like that. Two years in football is a very, very long time.”

Arsene also congratulated him on the late results of his work and lead us to believe that the Dutchman is his most important player.

“I have a high level of expectation for him and his performances are as high as I expect them to be,” he said.

“He plays well with the team, with the other players, and he finishes well. His finishing record is absolutely fantastic, he has scored 26 goals in 31 games and he is not only a finisher.”

Arsenal lost Samir Nasri after a contract extension that was delayed by Nasri, and Wenger doesn’t want that to happen again. That’s why he started negotiating early, and Van Persie is not the single one the club is negotiating with. Vermaelen, Walcott and Song are also on the same list.

POPULAR STORIES

Add a Comment