`
Wenger considers Walcott a quality player – Arsenal Banter

Wenger considers Walcott a quality player

Arsene Wenger’s mouth has been full of Theo Walcott’s praises. Walcott, have always been at the receiving end of fans criticism as he’s viewed as player who has fallen below his standard. Arsene said to the press today:

“Walcott has the quality, if you look at his career, he can respond to disappointment with good focus,” the Frenchman said.

“He had a very bad injury and he came back. When you look at his career in 2006 he was in the World Cup and since he has not been – and we are in 2017 now.

“That is basically 11 years later and he has gone through very early high up and he is still there. That means these guys can deal with disappointment.

“He is a guy who cares and wants to do well, he has a huge level of focus. I looked at his numbers the other day, he has played wide since the start of the season and he has played 20 games and scored 10 goals in the Premier League.

“I was surprised (Walcott was dropped). But it is true for England now there is competition. Going forward, you have a young generation with (Jesse) Lingard, (Marcus) Rashford coming up. (Jack) Wilshere was left out, Walcott was left out and they are usually people who are always in there.

“He is quite a focused, determined guy. He doesn’t compromise with what he thinks is important. He speaks his mind,” he continued.

Wenger added: “I think if you can captain a club team you can captain the national team, it’s similar…he is a positive guy.”

It is noteworthy that Arsene Wenger does not attach any importance to captaincy, as he believes he needs 11 players to lead the club rather than putting the burden on a particular person.