Benayoun – There were talks with Liverpool, but I knew I would join Arsenal!

Arsenal’s newly transferred midfielder Yossi Benayoun admits that he had talks with other teams before joining the club in the last day of the summer transfer period.

Coming on loan from Chelsea, Benayoun admits that he had quite a number of teams on his tail in the transfer season, but as soon as he heard of Arsenal’s interest his mind was set.

“The media thought it was dramatic, but I knew it would go to the last day. There was an agreement between me and Chelsea that we would wait until then because they wanted to bring in another player – either Meireles or Modric.”

“I first heard about the interest from Arsenal eight days before the end of the window and when I knew they wanted me it was an easy choice. I had a few good options from clubs in England and outside. There was a few talks with Liverpool. A few teams but as soon as I heard about Arsenal my mind was made up.”

“Deadline day was calm for me. I flew in from Israel in the morning, from the national team, and knew it was going to happen.”

Given that he was brought in on loan, Benayoun might have been brought as a stopgap at the club until Wenger manages to sort things out with some other targeted midfielders like M’Vila, Fellaini, Eden Hazard or Marvin Martin. The only sure thing is that the Israeli player is here to stay until next year and he could help us end the trophy drought.

Do you think Benayoun will leave next season, or will Wenger decide to keep him?