Per Mertesacker:” My performances can improve.”

Arsenal newcomer Per Mertesacker seems to have settled well in the team after his transfer from German side Werder Bremen. Currently he’s making a pair with Koscielny in centre-defence, but he will probably play with Vermaelen by his side after the Belgian will be fit again.

Mertesacker was very happy about the way the defence performed against Bolton, and thinks that all Arsenal needed was a bit of time to sort out one or two things and create some relationships between the new and the old players.

“We had a little bit more time [during the week] because of the Carling Cup match,” he told Arsenal.com

“Some players had a little more rest and we trained a little harder, especially on the way we want to defend. It worked and on Saturday you saw we had a better defence. We were closer together.

“After the four goals against Blackburn we lost a little bit of confidence but we were very proud of our performance on Saturday. We want to go on with this way of defending.

“I want to do a good job, especially in the defence. That is my role. If the coach praises me then that is a great thing but I have to go on and keep on working. My performances can improve.”

The German received a great deal of praise from Arsene Wenger for the way he performed and for the way he grew as a player since joining Arsenal.

The tall defender was brought in after a summer long negotiation with the German club Werder Bremen. Arsenal’s season seems reborn after the transfers came in, and everybody expects them to prove their worth for the team. So far Arsenal won three games drew one and lost one since the new transfers came in. Do you think they will manage to bring Arsenal back in the lead in Premier League?