Robin Van Persie closes in on his idol.

Arsenal’s striker Robin Van Persie acknowledges that Dennis Bergkamp was his motivation to reach the 100 goals mark at the club. Fellow Dutch international Bergkamp was the first ever Dutch who managed to do that in Arsenal’s history.

He was the kind of player fans adored and he worked hard for each goal he scored for The Gunners. Robin admits that when he transferred from Feyenoord in 2004, the first thing he did was to watch a video of Bergkamp’s 100 goals.

“The first thing I did was watch the video of Dennis’ best 100 goals, and I was like, ‘wow’,” the striker said.

“In my first season I scored five league goals and a couple in the Carling Cup and FA Cup. I thought it would take me 10 years.

“I didn’t really start to think about it until I scored my 82nd, 83rd, 84th goals and then realised I only needed 16 more to achieve that.”

Van Persie needed seven years to score 100 goals, and judging by the fact that he’s only 28, the Dutchman still has time to close the gap between him and Bergkamp who scored 120 goals for the club. Already a fan favourite and also team captain, Robin will surely live to become the next Thierry Henry in the fan’s hearts. His skill and efforts motivate even the stands in chanting louder to support the club, and it sends his colleagues the message that they must fight to make Arsenal champions once again.