Gourcuff is delighted about the relationship with Wenger.

Lorient manager Christian Gourcuff is grateful for the way the two teams make business, and that Wenger often chooses to send some of his players on loan at the French club. This season Arsenal loaned out Joel Campbell to the League 1 club. Campbell was just brought at the Emirates this season, but due to his still fragile age and lack of experience he was loaned out quickly.

Lorient’s boss Gourcuff declared himself satisfied with the working relationship with Wenger, and was quoted in France Football:

“There is no formal understanding,” he told France Football.

“I don’t think our chairman knows the London officials very well, he just does business with them.

“Personally, I have no privileged relationship with Arsene Wenger. At one point we didn’t speak on the phone for a whole year.

“However, obviously we share the same footballining philosophy and that helps to bring you closer.

“Arsene knows how we work so we are able to get a few players that we maybe wouldn’t otherwise be able to get.

“(Carlos) Vela came close to joining us as well but he wanted to go to a side where he could speak Spanish.

“We knew a lot about Joel Campbell and knew that it would be possible to get him on loan. The chairman was able to make that happen.”

Arsenal has a fairly big number of young stars loaned out every season. Despite Wenger’s love for young players, Emirates can’t host them all, so he often chooses to let them go to other teams where they could get games and grow as footballers, before coming back and showing their worth for The Gunners.