Wenger:”City’s interest for Van Persie exists only in made-up stories”

Arsenal’s manager Arsene Wenger has blasted the press for publishing articles about a supposedly transfer from Emirates to Manchester City of club captain Robin Van Persie. The Dutch striker still has another two seasons of contract, and speculations have appeared after the skipper delayed the contract extension saying it’s too early to decide.

“This is a story created to create a story,” he said.  “There is no truth to it. There is nothing to say really.

“Anybody who wants to sign one of our players can call me. Everybody has my phone number.

“I don’t know why we are even speaking about transfers. Robin is under contract until 2013.”

The rumours were also intensified by Carlos Tevez’s attitude towards Manchester City’s manager Roberto Mancini from midweek. Tevez refused to go on the pitch when asked by Mancini, and the manager declared after the match that the Argentine’s career under his management is “over”.

Robin Van Persie, although an unlikely candidate, would bring a lot to Manchester City if transferred. Let’s hope that will never happen and that Van Persie will come to his senses and sign the contract extension already. We all know he’s exactly what the club needs in order to keep growing, and losing yet another player to City is just not acceptable.