Wenger – Arsenal were the better team today, but we can’t win the League

Arsene Wenger saw his team get beaten yet again today, their fourth defeat in just seven games, and the League table says that Arsenal are just two points ahead of the relegation zone.

In contrast todays opponents Tottenham are five points ahead in sixth place, and also have a game in hand, so are still on course for a top four finish.

Most watchers of the game, whether they are Arsenal or Tottenham fans, would agree that Arsenal didn’t deserve to win the game, except for one short-sighted manager, namely Arsene Wenger.

He said after the match: “We lost a game when we were on top. We conceded two poor goals. I think the first goal was handball and second yellow card. The referee, maybe, cannot see it, but how can the linesman not see it? After the second goal, I think we defended badly and made two or three mistakes in the same situation. Overall, it is a game we have come out of very disappointed because we feel we should not have lost it.”

Well at least he admitted that the Gunners have little chance of actually winning the League, which is an improvement on last season when he said they were still in with a chance until the last day of the season.

He said: I do not think like that, I think at the moment we have to set ourselves a realistic target and to get in touch with the teams who are fighting for the Champions League positions. If you say today we will win the league it is not realistic.

“At the moment we are 12 points behind Manchester United and Manchester City – that’s not realistic to say today that we will win the league. We have to fight to come back into a much better position, that’s reality.”

Another reality is that Arsenal’s next game is against Sunderland, and If Arsenal don’t win that one then they could really be in trouble……