Szczęsny’s mixed messages – will he stay or will he go?

As rumoured last week, Gunners ‘keeper Wojciech Szczęsny has been the subject of strong interest from Spanish giants Barcelona as an eventual replacement for Victor Valdes. Despite becoming a firm favourite among Arsenal fans, the young Pole told Polish newspapers “I can’t declare that I will spend my entire career here, but if I leave I will have a very important reason or I will go to Barcelona.’ Seemingly classing a move to Spain in its own category of significance there, it looks like a serious bid from Cesc’s new home would indeed be enough to draw Szczęsny away from the Emirates.

Interestingly, though, the goalkeeper stated in another interview with Polish press that he “will “gladly put on the armband” for the Gunners. Calling the prospect of Arsenal captaincy “an honour”, he also said “I feel that when I say something, everyone listens to me. More so on the field than in the dressing room, but that’s more important I think.”

It seems that, realising the severity of Arsenal’s lack of points, he wants to open up opportunities for a transfer out if any recovery does not materialise. On the other hand, he is enjoying his time as one of Arsenal’s few strong players this season along with Alex Song and Robin Van Persie and, as a self-declared Arsenal fan, he seems to truly want the best for the club.

Although he promised any move would not come down to wage packets, the fact that he is even contemplating his future at this early stage of the season is worrying. One upper-hand Wenger has over Barcelona’s Pep Guardiola is that Szczęsny would be guaranteed game time at the Emirates until the day he leaves – but is this the only weapon the Arsenal have in the fight against player departures?