Fabianski – I should still be Arsenal’s Number One!

There is obviously a lot of competition between Lukasz Fabianski and Wojciech Szczesny, especially as they are both competing for the Polish international jersey as well as the first team spot at Arsenal.

Yesterday Fabianski was quoted as saying that he would have to consider leaving Arsenal if he wasn’t given any chances to get his first-team place back, and today he believes that he should still be in front of Szczesny in the pecking order.

“If it wasn’t for my injury, he wouldn’t be here today where he is,” said Fabianski. “I’d still be the number one – I didn’t lose my place because I played badly but because of the shoulder mishap. The same applies to the Poland national team. I didn’t let down the coach, I did well in the games I played.”

Strangely enough, Fabianski’s shoulder injury was sustained when he was saving a shot from Szczesny in training, but the fact is that his younger compatriot has played well enough for Wenger to keep him in place. It seems that Fabianski will have to play second fiddle to Szczesny for some time, just as he did when Almunia was the first choice.

Don’t Arsenal fans think that Fabianski was much improved last season before he was injured?