Vermaelen signs new long term deal with The Gunners

Arsenal’s central defender Thomas Vermaelen extended his stay at the club with a long term extension. Despite the fact that the details of the contract are not yet available, according to the footballer’s statements it is expected to be on a 5 season basys.

“I am really happy to have signed a new contract with Arsenal. I always had the intention to stay here.”

I feel there is a big belief in me from the Club, from the boss and from the fans and that is one of the reasons why I stayed. Arsenal is a fantastic Club. We have great supporters, we’re doing well financially and we are playing with some quality young players now and they will develop, which is very good for the future.”, said Vermaelen.

Manager Arsene Wenger was also happy about the contract extension and stated:

“We are absolutely delighted that Thomas has signed a new long-term contract. Our plan is always to sign top quality players and with Thomas extending his contract, we have done just that.”

“Thomas is a special player, who has always made a huge contribution on the pitch and we are looking forward to him being a part of our future at Arsenal Football Club.”

Vermaelen joined the club in 2009, but he didn’t yet manage to play a whole lot for The Gunners due to injury breaks. Fans can be at rest now knowing that Mertesacker and Vermaelen will take care of the central defence for a while. Let’s just hope they won’t get injured again!