Wenger – We were lucky, but we deserved it!

Arsene Wenger offered his thoughts at the press conference following the 1-0 win against Marseille in the Champions League group stage. The French manager said he feels lucky for winning in this way and he spoke about it as if he deserved the luck after prior experiences.

“That makes me lucky. We haven’t always been lucky in this competition.”

“We lost a goal late in Dortmund and we lost the Champions League final in the final minutes with 10 men. That’s what happens when faced with opponents who take their chances.”

“It was a great finish. When you see Aaron Ramsey in front of goal you know you have a good chance to score. He is becoming a real goalscorer.”

“We have made a little step forward but we have to be humble. We are a team who has to continue to grow. We have to show in the next game at home against Marseille. That game will be very important.”

“This will help our confidence. If you look back at the last five or six games, you will see only one defeat. We are slowly getting there. This result will help.”

“We left it very late. We had a difficult start,”

“Marseille pressed us well. We didn’t find our fluency. But we took over second half.

“Marseille weren’t dangerous in the second half. They defended well but in last 15 minutes we created chances and were rewarded because we kept going and got a very important victory.”

Arsenal managed to move in the first place of the group after the win against Marseille, and the gap between the first two spots and the next two places was enlarged by Olympiakos’ win against German side Borussia Dortmund. Wenger took the first chance to qualify from to the knockout stage of the competition as group leaders after this match and if Arsenal will manage to win the home game against Marseille they will surely become group winners.