Wenger – Robin was exceptional!

Arsenal’s manager Arsene Wenger spoke at the press conference following the match against Stoke about the importance of having Robin Van Persie in the squad and about the striker’s condition before the Chelsea game. Wenger stated:

“He had muscular tightness and I took 19 players [in training] yesterday because I was not sure whether to involve him on the team sheet.”

“He made a check this morning and he was medically alright to be on the bench. Before you leave him out you always think 15 times ‘should I really do it or not?’ but if you look at the number of games he plays and the history he has, you are a bit cautious.”

“When you want to be a team with quality you always have a player who stands out and who gets on the end of things. We had Thierry Henry before. Robin has exceptional quality and so you get these questions.”

“He was not injured, he was just tight muscularly. He will be fit [for the Chelsea match]”

Robin Van Persie was sent on the pitch in the 66th minute of the match against Stoke City and he made his appearance noticed with two very important goals for The Gunners. Gevinho sent two perfect assists for the Dutch striker and he didn’t fail to deliver and confirm his excellent form.