Wenger – We have to leave Chamberlain alone

Arsene Wenger seems to be very happy about the way new wonderkid Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain is growing as a footballer, and the manager said that the winger will be ready to play for The Gunners in the English Premier League in a timely fashion if everything goes as planned. The Frenchman still wants to give the English youth international time to grow both as a player and as a human being.

“Alex has talent mixed with a relaxed, positive attitude. I like that in him, he is a positive boy and I think he will be loved by people because he has that up-front attitude. That shows that he deals well with the pressure.β€œ Wenger told Arsenal.com

“I am not surprised how well he has done because I had very good reports about him at Southampton so I expected him to adapt quickly. He is now getting to a level where we want him to be and he has an opportunity now to show again that he wants to compete for a place as a regular starter.”

“He needs to add urgency to his game in the final third, on the defensive side and winning the duels against men. The Premier League becomes tougher, you have seen that again against Stoke. You need that capability to go from youth-team football or lower-level football to be a top-level athlete in the Premier League.”

“We have to leave him alone because in England sometimes there is a big impatience about upcoming young players,” said the Frenchman. “I believe that he has a very good example in front of him because Theo Walcott did very well with that.

“Theo is a good example to copy because he was confronted with fame very early in his career – Jack Wilshere as well – and both of them I think are good examples for Oxlade-Chamberlain.”

Chamberlain already scored two goals for Arsenal. The first one was scored against Shrewsbury Town in the Carling Cup, and the second one was scored against Olympiakos Piraeus in the Champions League group stage match. The youngster will probably get another playing chance today against Bolton Wanderers in the Carling Cup, and if he wants to be in the cards for the weekend derby he’d better perform well.