Wenger – Chelsea are better since Mata came

Arsenal’s manager Arsene Wenger offered an interview for the club’s official website and spoke about Saturday’s match against Chelsea. The Gunners are coming after 4 consecutive wins in all leagues, but have yet to win any points on away territory in this season, so the travel across London might prove problematic for Wenger.

“I believe that we have grown as a team compared with one month ago.”, said the manager

“Now we face the real tests of our quality and, of course, that is where we want to show that we have improved. That’s what is at stake at the moment.”

“A positive result would demonstrate that we are ready to compete at the top again. That is what we want to achieve of course and we will give absolutely everything to do well in this game. We will have a go.”

“Chelsea are up there, they have quality, and for me at Manchester United they showed that quality.”

“They are a bit more creative than they were before because Juan Mata has given them something a bit more in the final third.”

“They look to be in better shape than last year so it will demand a strong defensive performance on our side. We also need to attack them like we used to away from home.”

We can all remember the fact that Arsenal was long linked with Juan Mata and when they finally decided to go for the player Chelsea got in between and Torres convinced the young midfielder to join The Blues. All we can do about it now is weep at the thought that Mata could have been playing alongside Arteta in the midfield and the game would have been a completely different one.

I hope Wenger is kicking himself right now and that he won’t wait until the end of the month in January to make the right call regarding the transfers. Arsenal needs a top quality midfielder because Wilshere won’t be available to play for the better part of the season. With a midfielder like Hazard for example Wenger could even fight for the title if Manchester City won’t be too far to reach by then.