Tomas Rosicky – Back to his best, or over the hill?

So, it looks like the happy days are back at the Emirates. Arsenal have won eight of their last nine games and are almost certain to go through to the knockout stages of the Champions League if we win against Marseille. The Gunners are playing well as a unit and the players have really come into their own.

The midfield in particular, has really picked it up a notch. Alex Song, though a bit clumsy at times, has really established himself as a world class holding midfielder. If you’d ask me, I think he’s one of the best in the world at that position. Aaron Ramsey looks like he’s gonna provide an assist everytime he’s in possession. Mikel Arteta is no Cesc Fabregas but I think he’s settled in quite well. He had a great game against Chelsea. Hell, even Tomas Rosicky has had a great season so far-well, sort of!

After signing for us in the summer of 2006,the ‘Little Mozart’ was brilliant in his first season, scoring six in thirty-seven appearances. He was an integral part of that 07-08 midfield that almost won us the title. I still remember those two long range goals against Liverpool in the third round of the 07 FA Cup. After that game, I took him to heart. He became my favourite player (he still is, by the way). But after suffering from that career-threatening injury, he just hasn’t been the same. When you look at his performances so far this season, many would say he’s slowly getting back to the player he once was. But, I think otherwise.

First and foremost, he just does not want to shoot. Hell, I don’t even remember the last time I saw him shoot. I can think of countless instances where he could have had a clear shot at goal but opted to pass the ball instead. Secondly, he never tries to get in behind the defence. Take a look at our fifth goal against Chelsea for instance. After releasing Arteta, he could’ve easily continued his run and got in behind the defence. He would have definitely been in a better position than RvP as no seemed to keep a eye on him. Instead, he just stopped. At most times he just sits back and passes the ball around. I don’t want to sound too critical but he never gets into any dangerous positions. I am a big fan of Tomas and would hate to see him leave, but at the moment he just does not seem to be an Arsenal player to me. Nevertheless, I would love to see him prove me wrong and get his mojo back.

What do you guys think the problem is?

Has age finally caught up to him or is it just a confidence problem?