Wenger – Ramsey is improving and Koscielny is top-class

In the aftermath of Arsenal’s demolition of Chelsea, everyone was talking about Robin Van Persie’s excellent hat-trick and he was deservedly names as Man-Of-The-Match, but Arsene Wenger also wanted to talk about some of the other Arsenal players that have contributed immensely to the Gunners win.

First up was the Welsh captain Aaron Ramsey, who was criticized for some indifferent performances earlier in the season. Wenger thinks all that is now in the past. “He is on the way up,” he said.

“We speak about Robin van Persie but Aaron was out for one year when he was just getting into the team. That is tremendous. It is completely normal that he improves now because he is young. And there is still a lot of improvement for him.

“Secondly he is back to his full physical potential which is huge. We see that when we analyse the games. The worry we had is that he might be touched by being out for such a long time when it comes to the challenges. I have been impressed by the way he dealt with the whole situation.”

Although Arsenal made many defensive errors at Stamford Bridge, Wenger only had praise for the improvement in Laurent Koscielny after the game. “I believe Koscielny is a top centre-back,” he said. “He is 25, has had one year at the top level in France and is in his second year here.

“Last week as well he was top class. He goes from strength to strength. He is less impressive in his size – he is not six foot three – but he is quick, sharp and reads the game well.”

That statement makes it sound like Koscielny will be the first-choice partner for Thomas Vermaelen when the Belgian returns to full fitness, and they should make a formidable partnership this time around.