Wenger – It’s positive that we didn’t concede!

Arsenal’s manager Arsene Wenger spoke at the press conference after the Marseille match about the game from his perspective and about what he had expected from the game.  Arsenal proved a good determination in the game and had a decent game taking in account the number of chances created and the fact that they were fairly solid defensively.

“I felt it was a game where we were not physically at our sharpest. Marseille started stronger than us and after that we got back in the game. In the first half I feel we had opportunities to kill the game. “

“After that we were disciplined, we were willing, but you have to give credit to Marseille – they defended very well. They stopped us from playing and we were not sharp enough to get them out of position. “

“The positives are that we did not concede a goal, Marseille only had one shot on target and overall we know that in the final third we can do better.”

“I was happy with the defence. It’s not all perfect but we have rebuilt a back four. Overall Vermaelen had a good game, Mertesacker had a solid performance tonight, Santos as well.

“Jenkinson has just come back and he lacks experience in certain situations but overall he did well.”

The manager concluded:

“Emotionally more than physically maybe. It is difficult to be on a high three days later again but we still had opportunities, especially Ramsey in the first half, he had two great chances. Gervinho had a chance, and in a game like that you still expect to take one of these chances.”

Arsenal is still in the first place in the group with one point more than Marseille. The Gunners will face German side Borussia Dortmund in the next round as Marseille will play against Greek side Olypiakos Piraeus. With the same attitude and determination Arsenal has nothing to worry about. They will surely manage to finish on the first position if they manage to defeat Dortmund on home territory.