Vermaelen – You have to pair up with everybody

Arsenal’s central defender Thomas Vermaelen thinks that it’s only a matter of time until the club’s defenders will manage to gel together after a period when Mertesacker was brought in and Vermaelen was injured.

“You have to pair with everybody,” he said. “It doesn’t matter for me who is playing or who I am playing with, we know each other’s qualities and we know that because we are training every day with each other.

“It is up to the boss because he makes the selection of who is going to play.”

“It was the first time for me and I haven’t been training with him a lot – maybe once for a few minutes. For me, it is not a problem.”

“I watched him play alongside Koscielny and I have a good idea of his qualities and what he is like as a player. You have to be professional enough to cope with that.”

“Unfortunately we couldn’t score a goal – we had the intention to qualify too but it was only a draw,” he added about the Marseille match

“But I think Marseille are a good side and sometimes they made it quite difficult, especially at the start of the first half.”

“After that, we had a lot of control, created a few chances and unfortunately we couldn’t score. The important thing is that we kept a clean sheet but we couldn’t score a goal and that is a pity.”

“There is always pressure when you play football. We all wanted to qualify last night and that was the easiest way to do it but we got a point and we have to look forward and we have to win those [games].”

“We always go into a game to win it, especially at home so it would be better for us if we got a good result against Dortmund.”

Arsenal’s defensive team seems to be improving game in game out and Wenger is to thank for that. After the very poor start to the season Arsenal had the Frenchman managed to turn it around and create a steady team.