Van Persie denies exhaustion, but happy to be rotated

The Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger keeps trying to give his captain Robin Van Persie a rest from the rigours of playing twice a week, but his other strikers are failing to find the net when needed.

Wenger had to play Robin for the last half hour of Tuesdays 0-0 draw with Marsille but the manager insisted that he had no choice but give the Dutchman a rest.

“He was tired, this was fatigue, that’s why I did that,” Wenger said after the game, but Van Persie responded yesterday by saying that he felt great, but understood that rotation is needed with the busy timetable ahead.

He said: “I feel really good, but I know that we are playing twice a week all the time at the moment, and that the whole squad will be needed at different times.

“So I’m ready for anything. I know how it goes – the season is very long and we want to keep everyone fit. We have lots of games coming up.”

Wenger will have to take a calculated risk every time he leaves Van Persie on the bench, but should he be resting a player who is in the form of his life?