Wenger refuses to name first-choice centre-backs – Would you?

Thomas Vermaelen has been out injured for effectively more than a year, and Arsene Wenger has played many different pairings in the centre-back positions while he was laid off.

Recently, Per Mertesacker and Laurent Koscielny had played well together, but since Wermaelen’s return he has played a full game with each of those two. After another great clean sheet yesterday against West Brom with Koscielny and Thomas in defence, Wenger was asked if he thought that those two would be his prefered option from now on.

He replied: “I have a few first-choice pairings and Mertesacker is part of it as well.

“I like Mertesacker, Djourou and of course the two who played today so we will see. They are all good.”

He also indicated that his choice would depend on Arsenal’s opponents on the day when he said: “I expected [Peter] Odemwingie to play so I opted for two centre-backs who are quick. In the end he didn’t play but they worked very well together.”

I suppose that is Wenger’s roundabout way of saying that Djourou and Mertesacker are slow! So who would you choose as the best pair to face Norwich away in two weeks time?